Emergency Department Paramedic
Job posting number: #7198568 (Ref:ccf19537259)
Posted: December 4, 2023
Join the Cleveland Clinic team, where you will work alongside passionate caregivers and provide patient-first healthcare. Cleveland Clinic is recognized as one of the top hospitals in the nation. At Cleveland Clinic, you will receive endless support and appreciation, and build a rewarding career with one of the most respected healthcare organizations in the world. As a Paramedic in the Emergency Department, you will be able to perform the skills as a medic in the emergency setting. You will have the opportunity to witness patient-centered care in a controlled setting while gaining an understanding of hospital care versus prehospital care. While supporting the department, you will be making improvements and sharing your knowledge with patients, family, and friends. Your primary duties will include: •Performing EKGs, oral and nasal suctioning, and CPR. •Initiating cardiac monitoring and oxygen therapy while reporting rhythm changes. •Assisting with equipment including setup, chest tubes, gastric lavage, and more. •Assisting with cleaning procedures, sterile procedures, sterile techniques, and handing hazardous materials. The ideal caregiver is someone who: •Can work under minimal supervision and is motivated daily. •Works well in a close-knit, teambuilding environment. •Has a positive attitude with a willingness to learn •Has strong critical thinking skills. •Currently is licensed as an Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic (EMTP), has a Basic Life Support (BLS) certification, and an Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification. At Cleveland Clinic, we know what matters most. That's why we treat our caregivers as if they are our own family, and we are always creating ways to be there for you. Here, you'll find that we offer: resources to learn and grow, a fulfilling career for everyone, and comprehensive benefits that invest in your health, your physical and mental well-being and your future. When you join Cleveland Clinic, you'll be part of a supportive caregiver family that will be united in shared values and purpose to fulfill our promise of being the best place to receive care and the best place to work in healthcare.
- Obtains and records vital signs.
- Perform EKGs.
- Performs CPR.
- Initiates cardiac monitoring, notifies RN and/or physician of rhythm changes.
- Initiates oxygen therapy.
- Performs oral, nasal, and ET suctioning.
- Performs phlebotomy and initiates saline locks.
- Applies orthopedic appliances and simple splints.
- Sizes crutches and teaches crutch walking.
- Assists with equipment set-up, chest tubes, gastric lavage, LP, etc.
- Assists with restraint and seclusion of patients and application of restraint devices.
- Sitter to provide direct observation to patients as directed.
- Transport patients as required: stable unmonitored and monitored patients without titratable cardiovascular medications.
- Transport specimens to lab when needed.
- Assists with sterile procedures and adhere to sterile technique, universal precautions, and handling of hazardous materials.
- Assists with cleaning and maintenance of supplies and equipment.
- Point of care testing as applicable.
- Maintains confidentiality of patients; respects patients’ dignity and right to privacy.
- Supports the concept of teamwork and demonstrates a cooperative/collaborative demeanor.
- May perform fluid/drug administration.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Completion of an accredited EMS-Paramedic training program.
- Current licensure as an Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic (EMTP) in the current State.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) through American Heart Association (AHA).
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) through American Heart Association (AHA) required.
- International Trauma Life Support (ITLS) preferred.
- If in an ED, Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) through American Heart Association (AHA) upon hire or within one year of beginning work in the Emergency Department.
Complexity of Work:
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
- One year experience as a EMT-P preferred.
- Clinical experience through a EMS Paramedic Training program required.
- Requires full body motion to move and lift patients, manual finger dexterity with good eye-hand coordination; involves extensive standing and walking.
- Medium Work - Exerting 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Physical Demand requirements are in excess of those for Light Work.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective equipment as required.
Salaries [which may be] shown on independent job search websites reflect various market averages and do not represent information obtained directly from The Cleveland Clinic. Because we value each individual candidate, we invite and encourage each candidate to discuss salary/hourly specifics during the application and hiring process.
By embracing and understanding the diversity EVERY ONE brings, Cleveland Clinic has created an inclusive culture that promotes innovation, growth, and new ideas. This has enhanced our ability to attract the best global talent to provide the best patient experience possible. Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment/affirmative action employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. Smoke/drug free environment.