Senior Scientist I
Job posting number: #7116854 (Ref:60387BR)
Posted: November 27, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
What you'll do:
- Design, invent and develop new material platforms including new delivery technologies. Develop associated manufacturing processes to support pre-clinical and clinical studies.
- Collaborate with biological scientists and clinicians to develop material based immunotherapies.
- Support external collaboration opportunities with the business development team.
- Mentor and train others on research methodology.
- Present research results at Wyss internal and external meetings.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others.
What you'll need:
- Advanced degree in polymer chemistry, biomedical engineering, chemical engineering, or material science.
- A minimum of six years of experience in process development, material manufacturing, and characterization in support of pre-clinical or clinical studies. A PhD may count towards years of experience.
This position will be based on our campus in Boston, MA and will require on-campus presence. Subject to business needs, the Wyss Institute generally supports flexible work arrangements.
Harvard requires COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. More information regarding the University’s COVID vaccination requirement, exemptions, and verification of vaccination status may be found at the University’s “COVID-19 Vaccine Information” webpage: http://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine-information/.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- PhD is strongly preferred.
- Experience with general regulatory and GMP requirements for material preparation in support of pre-clinical toxicology or clinical studies, and IND filing is preferred.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced translational environment and comfortable with change.
- Product development-oriented experience is either industry or academic setting preferred.
- Demonstrated success in leading and working in cross-functional teams. Excellent documentation, analytical, communication, and inter-personal skills.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced translational environment and able to adjust scientific approach based upon changing priorities.
- Ability to seek out collaborations and manage and mentor others.
- Product design experience.
- Experience with quality systems and translational operations.
Offer contingent on successful completion of pre-placement medical evaluation.
Harvard is unable to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Why you’ll like working with us:
At the Wyss Institute, you’re a member of a supportive, dynamic community that is united by its shared goal of changing the world through groundbreaking technology development and commercialization. We encourage your professional growth and development through mentorship and tuition reimbursement to support continued learning, and more. We also support your physical, financial, and mental well-being through generous time off benefits, gym reimbursements, and other programs offered through Harvard. Our community will be relocating to a new, state of the art life sciences building in the lively Fenway neighborhood in spring 2023, where you will have access to multiple amenities including a roof terrace with stunning views of Boston and proximity to numerous restaurants and cultural attractions. We value an inclusive and diverse workforce, and believe that our differences enrich the work environment for all.
Our outstanding benefits package includes:
- Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
- Facilities access and Discounts: Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Not ready to apply? Join our talent community to stay up to date on career information and the latest news from the Wyss Institute.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
As a collaborative organization, we at the Wyss Institute know that great innovation happens when diverse perspectives come together to solve problems. As a result, we are committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of inclusion and connectedness both in and out of the lab. When recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that you will bring in terms of education, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, religion, disability, and sexual orientation. We believe these differences in background, experience, and perspective enrich our work environment and are essential to our mission of solving complex problems through technology development and translation.
EEO StatementWe are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Harvard Medical School strives to cultivate an environment that promotes inclusiveness and collaboration among students, faculty and staff and to create new avenues for discussion that will advance our shared mission to improve the health of people throughout the world.