Associate Director for Health Sciences and Biomedical Libraries
Job posting number: #7116105
Posted: November 15, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionPosition Purpose
Responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the public services areas of the Health Sciences and Biomedical Libraries, which includes outreach and engagement, planning programs and services, and creating programs to support initiatives at the Geisel School of Medicine and Dartmouth Health (DH). This position is responsible for Education and Information Services, and the public services provided to the Geisel, Dartmouth Health (DH), and Dartmouth College communities, in support of research, scholarship, education, and patient care in the health and life sciences. Participates as a member of the management team of the Health Sciences and Biomedical Libraries.
Required Qualifications - Education and Yrs Exp Masters plus 6 or more years' experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
Required Qualifications - Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
ALA-accredited master’s degree in library and/or information science, or an equivalent combination of an advanced subject or professional degree combined with relevant academic library experience.
Six years of professional librarian experience within an academic or health sciences library, including a minimum of three years of experience managing and developing staff.
Success in mentoring, developing, and leading staff with a collaborative and open approach.
Strong administrative, communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills that encourage teamwork.
Communication skills using persuasion, consensus building, tact and clarity.
Ability to work collegially in small group and team environments.
Demonstrated capacity to foster and manage change.
Experience in a clinical or health sciences environment.
Demonstrated knowledge of teaching and learning methods for adult learners.
Proven experience working collaboratively with faculty members and staff.
Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
Experience assessing the effectiveness of library services and education programs.
Experience coordinating educational services or a liaison program in an academic library.
Familiarity with developments in instructional technology, learning assessment, and trends in pedagogy.
Department Contact for Cover Letter and Title Stephanie Kerns
Equal Opportunity Employer
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Special Instructions to Applicants
All Dartmouth College employees, whether working on-site or remotely, are required to be up to date with vaccination against COVID-19 (or to have received an approved exemption from vaccination through the Office of Institutional Diversity and Equity). Please visit https://dartgo.org/vaxpolicy for details. Compliance with this requirement is a condition of employment. Failure to meet this condition of employment within the first 30 days may result in Dartmouth in its sole discretion ending employment.
Dartmouth College has a Tobacco-Free Policy. Smoking and the use of tobacco-based products (including smokeless tobacco) are prohibited in all facilities, grounds, vehicles or other areas owned, operated or occupied by Dartmouth College with no exceptions. For details, please see our policy. https://policies.dartmouth.edu/policy/tobacco-free-policy
Quick Link https://searchjobs.dartmouth.edu/postings/65866
· Provides operational leadership for public services areas of the Health Sciences and Biomedical Libraries to propose, develop, implement, and evaluate the core services based on the strategic goals of the Geisel School of Medicine, the Dartmouth Library, and Dartmouth College.
· Directly oversees 5-8 staff members; conducts performance reviews; plans or directs activities among team members, resolves conflicts as necessary. Identifies and develops solutions to complex problems, requiring substantial analysis and knowledge. Key participant in the strategic planning efforts of the medical school and library.
· Develops and implements policies, procedures, services, and programs. Exercises considerable independent judgment and discretion in determining the intent of broad guidelines and interprets guidelines for others.
· Oversees the departments of Education and Information Services, including management of the library spaces, department staffing, and programs and services. Responsible for coordinating outreach and engagement efforts for the library to the Geisel and DH communities.
· Engages teams to facilitate the delivery of library services in support of strategic initiatives in the public services areas by recruiting, managing, and mentoring a collaborative team, creating opportunities for their growth and professional development.
· Advocates for staff, promoting a workplace culture of inclusion, equity, and belonging.
Percentage Of Time 60%
Education and Programming Support
· Partners with faculty, clinicians, researchers, and other stakeholders to integrate the Health Sciences and Biomedical Libraries in the curricula, research programs, and clinical activities of the various components of Geisel’s and DH’s communities. Develops and maintains strong working relationships inside and outside Geisel and the College.
· Works collaboratively with Library and Geisel colleagues to provide sustainable and coordinated services, access to resources, and consistency in policies.
· Collects, prepares, and analyzes statistics and reports; develops and monitors key performance indicators against stakeholder goals and strategic plans; uses them to inform the evolution of library programs, services and spaces.
Percentage Of Time 25%
Continuous Improvement and Innovation
· Collaborates with the Associate Dean on policies and practices and to develop and deliver innovative programs to support research and curricular goals of Geisel, DH, and the College.
· Serves on and supports Geisel, DH, and College committees and initiatives as appropriate, representing Geisel and the Dartmouth Library in relevant local, regional, and national organizations; participates in Geisel and Dartmouth Library task forces and committees as appropriate; keeps abreast of advances in health sciences, academic librarianship, educational technologies, learning assessment, and pedagogy; and is involved in relevant regional and national professional organizations.