CHEMICAL BIOLOGY SPECIALIST III
Job posting number: #7115870 (Ref:hlj_41561)
Posted: November 11, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The primary responsibility of this position is for effective management of synthetic and medicinal chemistry strategies in support of research and development in collaborative Drug Discovery and Chemical Biology research projects. Responsible for designing, synthesizing, chemical analysis, purification of small molecules, generating experimental reports of all assigned projects and providing expert assistance in the synthesis of focused compound libraries. Maintenance of state of the art instrumentation NMR, HPLC-MS, HPLC .
An overview of the role:
- Establishing and optimizing projects as assigned by the Core Facility Manager to design/synthesize novel compounds:
- Compound purification using chromatography techniques (column chromatography, preparative chromatography, recrystallization etc.)
- Compound analysis during each step of synthesis to determine purity and composition.
- Maintain expert records of all analysis, must be available for review.
- Execute all laboratory projects assigned to conform with all state, local, federal and Moffitt safety standards.
- Maintenance of laboratory equipment used for synthetic chemistry such as initiator microwave reactors, HPLC, isolera purification systems, NMR, HPLC-MS, HRMS.
- Fostering and developing good communication channels with vendors to facilitate maintenance and instrument repair. Outstanding communication with vendors, engineers is important for this position to maintain high-end instrumentation
- Manage compound inventory, submit compounds in a timely manner for Moffitt drug discovery projects ,establish effective collaborative routes with Moffitt PIs/Postdocs.
- Produce written materials using journal standards and ensuring they are publication ready.
Experience and skills required:
- Experience with Synthetic route planning, and reaction problem solving to apply chemical biology and medicinal chemistry projects is essential.
- Outstanding experimental skills, planning, and execution of laboratory work.
- Experience maintaining chemistry labs and associated chemistry equipment.
- Expertise in analysis of compounds using NMR techniques, HPLC-MS, HRMS is essential.
- Experience in Mass Spectroscopy.
- Ability to orally present synthetic chemistry/projects to Pis, in group meetings, and departmental meetings is essential.
- Ability to carry out positive interactions with a diverse group of research staff inside and outside the institution. Proactive attitude in a service provision, excellent communication and problem solving skills.
- PhD with 1 year experience in synthetic chemistry, medicinal chemistry or synthesis of biologically active compounds (OR) Master's level requires 3 years' experience in synthetic chemistry, medicinal chemistry or synthesis of biologically active compounds
Preferred: PhD. in Organic Synthesis is with 3 years post doc experience in small molecule synthesis
Mission To create a Moﬃtt culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion as we strive to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Vision To advance and accelerate a culture of access, equity, and inclusion. Diversity is a priority at Moffitt and is meant "to promote a culture of diversity and inclusion as we contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer." The Enterprise Equity Department focuses its efforts on eliminating those obstacles to an individual’s ability to exist within their personal comfort zone at the cancer center. Everyone is important to meeting this priority. Addressing and responding to diversity and inclusion fosters an environment where mutual respect for diverse cultures, communication styles, languages, customs, beliefs, values, traditions, experiences and other ways in which we identify ourselves, is the expectation.