PS Histology Technician
Salt Lake City, UT
Job posting number: #7111365
Posted: September 21, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionJob Summary
General Description: Performs technical procedures in a clinical laboratory with minimal supervision by applying standard scientific techniques and analytical principles.
Specific information: The Immunodermatology Laboratory, a clinical diagnostic laboratory, seeks a highly motivated individual to join the team. Focus, attention to detail, and the ability to multitask are critical to the job performance. This individual must be able to work efficiently and consistently with good manual dexterity and visual perception skills. The individual also must recognize and troubleshoot problems that may develop. The position involves handling various tissue specimens, cutting for microscopic analyses, and performing different immunoassays as well as supporting tasks for the testing, reporting, laboratory functions and transmission of results. Performs special staining and complex procedures necessary in preparing specimens of human or animal tissue for diagnoses.
1. Performs laboratory testing utilizing immunofluorescence and immunoassay procedures to detect the presence of antibodies and other immunological markers in epithelial biopsy specimens and sera that aid in the diagnosis of diseases
2. Automated and non-automated procedures are performed
3. Prepares cryo-sections of human skin and mucosa, other human tissues and animal tissues (including monkey and rodent) for direct and indirect immunohistological staining procedures
4. Must be able to work efficiently and consistently with dexterity and speed to accomplish the daily testing and other duties including support work such as reagent preparation, quality assurance testing and report generation
5. Helps to teach laboratory procedures to Dermatology residents and fellows, visiting clinicians and students who rotate in the Immunodermatology Laboratory
6. Delivers excellent customer service to promote trusted interactions with medical providers for patient care
Work Environment and Level of Frequency that may be required:
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Often: Infectious disease, oils (there is air or skin exposure to oils or other cutting fluids), exposure to animals, hazards (includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, or exposure to chemicals).
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required:
Nearly Continuously: Hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking, standing, sitting.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
Associate degree in a biological science or equivalency required; demonstrated human relations and effective communication skills are also required.
American Society of Clinical Pathologist (ASCP) certification as a Histology Technician is preferred.
This position is patient-sensitive and must fulfill all associated requirements. We protect our patients, coworkers, and community by requiring all patient-sensitive employees to be immunized according to CDC standards and hospital policy. Limited exemptions may be made for documented medical contraindications or religious beliefs that object to vaccinations.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in medical technology, clinical laboratory, chemical, physical or biological sciences; OR Associate degree in chemical, physical, biological science, or medical laboratory technology science or 60 semester hours including either 24 hours of medical technology or 16 hours of chemistry and 8 hours of biology and requiring either 1 year of clinical laboratory training including each of the laboratory specialties or 3 months of training in each specialty in which the individual performs high-complexity testing.