Staff Software Engineer
Warner Robins, GA
Job posting number: #7107040
Posted: August 2, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
- Assists more senior engineers in the design, creation, modification, integration, test, or maintenance of applications, embedded software, engineering/scientific software, web applications, client-server applications, machine learning and/or artificial intelligence-based software solutions.
- Communicates with colleagues and more senior developers on technical designs and development.
- Collaborates with Technical Leads and senior engineers to obtain information on software limitations and/or capabilities.
- Documents the software design using flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, self-documenting code, inline comments, and/or other appropriate documentation.
- Develops software solutions by studying existing code, user requirements, data usage, and systems flow.
- Provides internal and external customers with up-to-date project status.
- Complies with all Executive Director approved MERC-wide policies and procedures.
- Adheres to approved MSP quality management policies and principles, and promotes and attitude of commitment to continuous quality improvement.
- During all business-related activities, particularly during customer contacts, remains alert for any problem or opportunity that might lead to additional business for any MERC core business area.
- Whenever possible, uses any available opportunity to promote MERC capabilities and interests to customers and potential customers.
- Reports potential MERC business opportunities to the Director of Acquisition Strategy through the Chief Engineer.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Security Clearance.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, or Computer Science; from an ABET accredited institution; or Master’s degree in same.
- Novice with secure coding practices.
- Novice with database design principles and Structured Query Language.
- Novice with agile framework and the software development life-cycle.
- Novice with the development of testing strategies for components and/or applications.
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT MERC
MERC is a non-profit applied research operating unit of Mercer University, a private university founded in 1833. Established in 1987 in Warner Robins, GA, MERC employs more than 200 engineers, scientists, professors, and support staff, who provide sustainable research solutions to government agencies, the Department of Defense, and commercial customers around the world.
Warner Robins and the middle GA area are located 90 miles south of Atlanta and within easy driving distance of both the beach and mountains. The area is known for its Southern-style music, food, and restaurants and has a rich cultural and art presence, along with excellent health care and schools.
MERC offers a generous benefits package including health and dental insurance, retirement, tuition reimbursement, vacation/sick leave accrual, and holiday pay.