Physician Relations Liaison
Job posting number: #7104631 (Ref:10017715)
Posted: July 6, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
About City of Hope
City of Hope is an independent biomedical research and treatment organization for cancer, diabetes and other life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1913, City of Hope is a leader in bone marrow transplantation and immunotherapy such as CAR T cell therapy. City of Hope’s translational research and personalized treatment protocols advance care throughout the world. Human synthetic insulin, monoclonal antibodies and numerous breakthrough cancer drugs are based on technology developed at the institution. AccessHope™, a subsidiary launched in 2019 serves employers and their health care partners by providing access to City of Hope’s specialized cancer expertise.
A National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, City of Hope is ranked among the nation’s “Best Hospitals” in cancer by U.S. News & World Report and received Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Its main campus is located near Los Angeles, with additional locations throughout Southern California and in Arizona.
City of Hope’s commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We believe diversity, equity and inclusion is key in serving our mission to provide compassionate patient care, drive innovative discovery, and advance vital education focused on eliminating cancer and diabetes in all of our communities. Our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion ensures we bring the full range of skills, perspectives, cultural backgrounds and experiences to our work -- and that our teams align with the people we serve in order to build trust and understanding. We are dedicated to fostering a community that embraces diversity - in ideas, backgrounds and perspectives; this is reflected in our work and represented in our people.
With strategic expansion into the communities, the role of a Physician Liaison is critical in developing and sustaining relationships with referring physicians and office staff. The Physician Liaison is responsible for the targeting, developing, and strengthening relationships between external physicians and City of Hope clinical sites. The Liaison will support the overall growth strategies for the community practice locations, as well as Duarte campus; engaging physician involvement and participation in key City of Hope programs as outlined in the Strategic Plan. In this position, the Liaison will visit physician offices regularly with updates on hospital services, and ensure that physicians are satisfied with the hospital's level of care following recent referrals.
The successful Liaison provides and recommends the appropriate programs, services, specific knowledge about treatments and background on City of Hope physicians. The primary responsibility of this position is to develop and maintain strong referral relationships between City of Hope and the community-based physicians throughout the region. The overall goal of the position is to increase visibility of City of Hope’s services, increase referrals and new patient acquisitions.
Key Responsibilities include:
- In partnership with the City of Hope community practice site physicians, the Liaison will develop and create strategic opportunities to promote outreach, grow referrals and increase City of Hope recognition. Fully understands and executes the growth goals provided by the Sr Director of Business Development and COH Leadership to achieve monthly, quarterly and annual metrics, driving assigned business lines to achieve projected patient volumes and revenue goals
- Under the direction of the Sr. Director of Business Development allocates the majority time to field work, performing sales calls and visits with community physicians and their office staff on a routine and consistent basis, to build existing and new relationships with physicians or key individuals; proactively identifies needs and presents ways that City of Hope’s services and programs can add value to physician/client service needs.
- Enhance relationships with community physicians through events, office contacts, written communications and other strategic approaches. Answer physician questions about facility, availability, capabilities, terms, treatment solutions and clinical trials. Troubleshoot complaints, as necessary. Assists with on-boarding new physicians by contacting, meeting with and orienting each new community practice provider to City of Hope.
- Analyze market to determine the highest value doctors, identify geographic areas of opportunities by zip and physician, as well as ROI.
- Collaborate with other team members on Foundation, community practice sites, physicians, and CME department. Participates in community and physician events as assigned.
- Provides weekly, monthly and quarterly reports to Leadership on sales encounter and activities tracking and provides input for the Business Development update report.
- Maintains encounter file of visits and discussions to enable prompt follow-up and monitoring. Maintains profile on each key physician, including pertinent information about the individual physician, the physician’s group, key office staff and the physician’s particular interests.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications, or Healthcare. Prefer advance degree in healthcare administration. Experience may substitute for minimum education requirements.
- Professional experience with a minimum of 7+ years of experience in customer relations, physician relations or sales in a healthcare/hospital setting is required. Background in pharmaceutical or medical device sales preferred. Well-versed in oncology and treatment solutions; must be able to speak peer to peer; ability to address any concerns about referring patients to City of Hope
- As a condition of employment, City of Hope requires staff to comply with all state and federal vaccination mandates.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
City of Hope is a community of people characterized by our diversity of thought, background and approach, but tied together by our commitment to care for and cure those with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. The innovation that our diversity produces in the areas of research, treatment, philanthropy and education has made us national leaders in this fight. Our unique and diverse workforce provides us the ability to understand our patients' needs, deliver compassionate care and continue the quest for a cure for life-threatening diseases. At City of Hope, diversity and inclusion is a core value at the heart of our mission. We strive to create an inclusive workplace environment that engages all of our employees and provides them with opportunities to develop and grow, both personally and professionally. Each day brings an opportunity to strengthen our work, leverage our different perspectives and improve our patients’ experiences by learning from others. Diversity and inclusion is about much more than policies and campaigns. It is an integral part of who we are as an institution, how we operate and how we see our future.