Job posting number: #7098054 (Ref:27145524080)
Posted: April 14, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
- Provides general secretarial and clerical duties and other duties such as: placing charts in proper order, stamping documents including EMS log with date and name of patient, gathering and organization of emergency patient data, preparing charts, collecting data and completing general clerical duties.
- Completes physician order process and order entry.
- Answers call lights and follow up with appropriate staff.
- Acts as receptionist for assigned unit.
- Ensures complete chart goes to Data Coordinator on discharge.
- Ensures proper closing of charts (e.g. charge sheets, Health Screening Assessment, narrative notes, etc.)
- Acts as receptionist and answers telephone, relays messages, places calls; interact with patients, families, visitors, staff and other departments in a professional manner.
- Transcribes physician's orders accurately and alerts nurses to new orders, single orders, and stat medications.
- Confirms that a Registered Nurse signs all orders.
- Receives and relays messages with accuracy from other departments, e.g. Lab, X-ray, Admitting, etc.
- Confirms that lab requisitions for patients are completed and sent to Lab.
- Answers patient call lights in timely manner and follows up with appropriate nursing personnel with patient needs.
- Assesses and organizes workload, determines order of importance or prioritize work.
- Enters work orders in computer for appropriate departments regarding maintenance issues, biomed needs, IT related problem.
- Keeps immediate work area Organizational and adequately stocked with office supplies and forms; reorders supplies as necessary.
- Notifies Environmental Services of rooms to be cleaned.
- Participates in peer evaluation process.
- Ensures 100% compliance with patient ADT functions and computer status.
- Completes a unit activity/ time log for discharge, transfer and admissions.
- Completes Occurrence Report forms.
- Attends and participates in monthly departmental director's meetings.
- Transcribes all information communicated at the meetings.
- Assists in the implementation of formal and informal surveys/methodologies.
- Contacts Patient Concierge or addresses patients/family issues with appropriate department head and acts as a patient advocate to ensure proper patient comfort by alerting nursing staff of patients' needs (e.g., pain, anxiety, etc.).
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) through American Heart Association (AHA).
Complexity of Work:
- All employees are expected to meet the standards of performance outlined in the Organizational-Wide Competencies listed below as applied to the position:
- World Class Service Orientation: Demonstrates courteous, polite, friendly and cooperative behaviors toward others.
- Supports and participates in activities that promote customer satisfaction.
- Utilizes approved hospital scripts.
- Courteously answers the telephone utilizing approved script (department, name and "How can I help you").
- Assists in answering call lights when on the nursing units (includes ancillary and non-patient care personnel).
- Answers call lights within 4 rings. Acknowledges patients/guests/others immediately upon entering the department/work area.
- Communicates and follows the organizational chain of command for notification of patient care/service issues, when appropriate. (Calls are answered within 4 rings.)
- Attitude: Chooses to have a positive attitude every day.
- Customer waiting: Updates waiting Patient/family per protocol. (Scheduled visit every 10 minutes, unscheduled every 30 minutes.
- Adaptability: Exhibits good communication and listening skills. Speaks clearly, actively listens.
- Able to work with diverse populations (patient, staff, physicians) under difficult and stressful situations.
- Supports the team approach.
- Committed to Customer Service standards.
- Encourages patients and family members to ask questions.
- Avoids jargon.
- Teamwork: Understands and supports the needs of individuals in other departments, works as a team to achieve mutual goals.
- Offers assistance and promptly responds to requests (patient, physician, manager and others).
- Performs any other duties or responsibilities that may be assigned.
- Attends 90% of all staff meetings.
- Participates in coordination/delivery of approved Facility events.
- Efficiency and Effectiveness: Offers suggestions for departmental and/or hospital-wide performance/process improvement.
- Intervenes to correct problems (patient and system) as they occur.
- Notifies manager/director of actions and outcome.
- Participates in the performance/process improvement process.
- Completes required logs and quality controls as per hospital/department requirements (refrigerator checks).
- Work Habits: Readily accepts work assignments in a positive manner.
- Performs work that is accurate, neat and consistent.
- Documentation is legible.
- Safety: Keeps work area neat and maintains equipment in accordance with health and safety codes.
- Uses Standard precautions in all patient contacts.
- Provides a safe environment for patients/family and visitors, and reports safety issues and equipment failures appropriately.
- Confidentiality: Sensitive information including, but not limited to, patient records, charts, hospital documents and employee information is kept confidential without exception, according to HIPAA guidelines.
- Ensures that the rights of all patients are respected and maintained by allowing for privacy, cultural diversity and dignity in the provision of care.
- Demonstrates organizational skills in the form of prioritization and time management.
- Essential Job Requirements: Policies/Procedures: Is aware of and follows all hospital, corporate, regional, and departmental policies and procedures.
- Appearance: Projects a professional image, follows the hospital dress code policy and/or department requirements.
- Wears hospital ID badge at all times on duty.
- Attendance: Employee reports to work each regularly scheduled work day.
- Does not take advantage of sick time. (To score a 3, employee must have no absences for the year).
- Punctuality: Clocks in by the scheduled start time of the shift and is ready for work.
- Continues working until scheduled departure time.
- Leaves as scheduled unless overtime is approved by supervisor.
- Supervisory Responsibilities: Makes suggestions to reduce waste. Ensures that personnel and supplies of the organization are used in a cost effective manner.
- Identifies cost saving strategies for department/hospital.
- Offers opinions and information that reflect positively on Cleveland Clinic Florida.
- Will take the time to speak with an employee (privately) if they observe or overhear that an employee is not being an ambassador of the hospital.
- Understands how individual job performance affects department and hospital growth.
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to improve service or care.
- Participates in hospital/departmental committees to improve service and streamline organizational processes.
- Note: The above stated duties are intended to outline those functions typically performed by individuals assigned to this classification.
- This description of duties is not intended to be all inclusive nor to limit the discretionary authority of supervisors to assign other tasks of similar nature or level of responsibility.
- Preferred: one year clerical duties.
- Requires frequent walking from department to department; requires sitting at a workstation or desk; requires standing; work may include occasional pushing and/or pulling, lifting, and carrying objects weighing up to 50 lbs., such as files, documents and computer printouts.
- Work requires finger dexterity and eye/hand coordination to operate a computer keyboard at a moderate skill level.
- Mental Demands: Ability to work at a fast pace and prioritize multiple assignments/projects and respond to numerous requests; ability to resolve conflicts among staff and to work collaboratively with department directors, physicians and other members of the Healthcare team; ability to ensure operational efficiency; ability to problem-solve and make decisions; ability to exercise self-control and tolerate stress when dealing with multiple requests and/or conflicting demands from multiple customers.
- Special Demands: Needs minimal sustained direction in assessing needs, directing staff and carrying out departmental and professional responsibilities.
- Self-starting and self-motivating; working hours may exceed eight (8) hours per day and is based on what is needed to accomplish work at hand.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows Standard Precautions using personal protective equipment as required for procedures.
The policy of Cleveland Clinic Health System and its system hospitals (Cleveland Clinic Health System) is to provide equal opportunity to all of our employees and applicants for employment in our tobacco free and drug free environment. All offers of employment are followed by testing for controlled substance and nicotine. Job offers will be rescinded for candidates for employment who test positive for nicotine. Candidates for employment who are impacted by Cleveland Clinic Health System's Smoking Policy will be permitted to reapply for open positions after 90 days.
Cleveland Clinic Health System administers an influenza prevention program as well as a COVID-19 vaccine program. You will be required to comply with both programs, which will include obtaining an influenza vaccination, COVID-19 vaccination, or an exemption.
Decisions concerning employment, transfers and promotions are made upon the basis of the best qualified candidate without regard to color, race, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran or any other characteristic protected by law. Information provided on this application may be shared with any Cleveland Clinic Health System facility.
Please review the Equal Employment Opportunity poster
Cleveland Clinic Health System is pleased to be an equal employment employer: Women / Minorities / Veterans / Individuals with Disabilities
By embracing and understanding the diversity EVERY ONE brings, Cleveland Clinic has created an inclusive culture that promotes innovation, growth, and new ideas. This has enhanced our ability to attract the best global talent to provide the best patient experience possible. Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment/affirmative action employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. Smoke/drug free environment.