Research Business Manager (Remote)
Job posting number: #7086049 (Ref:10012633)
Posted: September 24, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionAbout City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Under direction the Research Business Manager (BM) supervises daily Research Business Operation's procedures through analytical and administrative staff. Independently manages mid-size research portfolio. The BM implements procedures and utilizes sound judgement to communicate and guide staff and faculty. The BM has expert knowledge in the areas of research administration and COH policies, procedures, and systems. The BM operates with a working knowledge of management and leadership competencies. This is a work from home/remote position.
Key Responsibilities include:
Research Administration & Financial Management
- Review and approve financial reports and analyses for assigned team portfolio
- Prepare and develop departmental budgets using actual and projected data
- Prepare and approve Labor and Non-Labor Cost Transfers
- Manage extramural funds, resource allocation, and comprehensive forecasting of average spending.
- Review and approve purchase requisitions, check requests, reimbursements, travel authorizations and business expense reports
- Under direction of the BD, implement long-range financial plans, analyses.
- Coordinate and assist in development and submission of complex multi component proposals
- Review accuracy of personnel time and effort reporting in ecrt system and work with OSR and PI to update/correct errors.
- Work with PIs in handling patents, intellectual properties and clinical trials as required.
- Effectively collaborate on a continual basis with Office of Sponsored Research, Research Protections, Research Data Management and other collaborators
- Advise departmental administrative staff on research administration related items
- Lead personnel actions for department staff and/or faculty as requested, including but not limited to:
- Initiate internal hiring processes, recruitment, and onboarding of faculty and non-faculty.
- NES onboarding (visa requests, English proficiency evaluations, AccessNet, login ID, Outlook, etc.)
- Coordinate logistics (postings, etc.) of employee recruitment
- Manage staff and faculty time through Centricity and approve time sheets to payroll.
- Assist in department business activities, including but not limited to: purchasing, facilities, travel, and reporting required by the institution.
- Assist and coordinate in areas of building and equipment safety and maintenance and other services.
- Coordinating lab safety training, lab coat services, and other general lab support.
Management and Leadership
- Conduct regular meetings with staff to review workload productivity, current events, problems and potential areas of concern.
- Manage Research Operations Analysts and other administrative staff.
- Administrative (HR) oversight of departmental staff
- Coaches and mentors analysts and administrative staff.
- Conduct periodic performance feedback meetings with and complete annual performance reviews
- Supports BD and Sr. BD in strategic planning process
- Represents research business operations and research operations as a whole on organization-wide committees as assigned by senior leadership
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Bachelor's Degree (any discipline)
- 3 years of administration experience in an academic research or healthcare environment including 2 years of progressively responsible management experience.
Preferred education experience and skills:
- Bachelor's Degree in business, finance, business administration, research administration, science, or related field is preferred
- 5+ years of business management experience in an academic research or healthcare environment is preferred.
- 2 years of progressive responsibility supervisory experience.
- This position is remote and invite applicants outside of our immediate geographic area to apply.
- To protect the health of patients and staff and to comply with new State of California mandates, City of Hope staff are required to show proof of full vaccination by September 30, 2021. Compliance is a condition of employment.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
- Posting Date: Sep 17, 2021
- Job Field: Research Administration
- Employee Status: Regular
- Shift: Day Job
City of Hope is a community of people characterized by our diversity of thought, background and approach, but tied together by our commitment to care for and cure those with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. The innovation that our diversity produces in the areas of research, treatment, philanthropy and education has made us national leaders in this fight. Our unique and diverse workforce provides us the ability to understand our patients' needs, deliver compassionate care and continue the quest for a cure for life-threatening diseases. At City of Hope, diversity and inclusion is a core value at the heart of our mission. We strive to create an inclusive workplace environment that engages all of our employees and provides them with opportunities to develop and grow, both personally and professionally. Each day brings an opportunity to strengthen our work, leverage our different perspectives and improve our patients’ experiences by learning from others. Diversity and inclusion is about much more than policies and campaigns. It is an integral part of who we are as an institution, how we operate and how we see our future.