DATA SCIENTIST III
Job posting number: #7085319 (Ref:hlj_32789)
Posted: September 15, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Data Scientist III (DS) will work directly with key stakeholders throughout Moffitt to document data-related needs and identify novel approaches, including advanced data science and analytics techniques, for addressing those needs. This position is remote but based in Florida.
The DS will incorporate these novel approaches into the larger Health Data Services and Digital Innovation strategies. The DS will liaise directly with both clinical and research faculty whose work is focused on genomics, radiomics, immunooncology, evolutionary therapy, patient-reported outcomes, and other areas to ensure Moffitt’s analytics methods are best positioned to accelerate discovery using Moffitt’s vast data assets. Optimizing the use of Moffitt’s data assets requires careful considerations of data formatting, lineage, quality, linkages, and visualizations. As Moffitt continues to incorporate new data types into its cloud-based analytics platform, modern strategies for data provenance, ingestion, linkage, and dissemination will become even more critical for the ultimate realization of the value of these data across the Center. Innovative data types include, but are not limited to, medical record text, radiology and pathology images, molecular data, and patient-generated data (wearables).
The DS will implement Moffitt’s data and analytics strategy through the creation of predictive models and algorithms, manipulation of datasets to identify trends and extract meaningful knowledge, development of data mining solutions using natural language processing and machine learning to extract structured data, and more. Such work will not only have an immediate and high impact on clinical use cases, such as tumor boards, but also on cutting-edge research such as automation of tumor segmentation.
The Data Scientist III is a senior professional within the Data Scientist career path. The DS will receive little instruction on day-to-day work and general instructions on new projects or assignments. The DS will work on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. The DS will demonstrate good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. The DS will network with senior internal and external personnel. May be asked to mentor junior data scientists or on-board others.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in quantitative analytics and applied data science OR Master’s degree in a quantitative field and 3 years of experience in quantitative analytics and applied data science.
- Strong proficiency programming in R, Python, or adjacent languages
- Experience performing advanced statistical analysis or building a variety of machine learning models
- Experience writing SQL queries, mining large datasets (pandas/dplyr), and using data visualization tools (matplotlib/ggplot2/plotly)
- Experience with git or similar version control
- Experience with cloud computing (i.e., AWS, Snowflake)
- Experience working with healthcare data
- Ability to translate complex datasets into simple recommendations
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to write and speak about technical concepts to diverse stakeholder groups
- A Bachelor’s degree Data science, mathematics, statistics, computer science, or related quantitative field. A Master’s in Data science, mathematics, statistics, computer science, or related quantitative field is preferred
Mission To create a Moffitt culture of diversity and inclusion as we strive to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Vision Moffitt Cancer Center is recognized as the model wherein the diversity of our employees and communities is valued and supported as essential components to contributing to the prevention and cure of cancer. The cancer center is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the cancer center to prohibit unlawful discrimination and harassment of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to workforce members and applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, marital status, disability, genetic information, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.