Registered Dietetic Technician
Job posting number: #7085151 (Ref:138534)
Posted: September 13, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Provides direct nutritional care to Cleveland Clinic patients under the guidance of a registered dietitian. Works collaboratively with other health disciplines and departments to facilitate the provision of nourishment of food and monitors the nutrition care of patients.
- Under the guidance of a registered dietitian, provides direct patient care using medical nutrition therapy for an assigned patient population identified to be at moderate or low nutrition risk.
- Implements a nutritional care plan and communicates plan to dietitian and other health care team members.
- Establishes a follow-up system and maintains documentation in the medical record and in order entry/diet office software.
- Functions as a liaison between the Patient Food Service coordinators/hosts and the medical/dietitian staff ordering diets.
- Ensures that food provided to patients is compliant with the diet ordered.
- Communicates with physician and/or dietitian when diet order needs to be changed to better meet patient needs.
- Reviews/enters patient menus into computer as needed and process diet/nourishment changes
- . Actively contributes to departmental initiatives including committees and projects.
- Supports the dietetic internship as a supervised practice rotation preceptor.
- Completes reports for ongoing productivity tracking.
- Participates in professional growth activities, including attending and contributing to patient care rounds, conferences and seminars on nutrition and related topics.
- Participates in clinical research. Utilizes clinical software applications to facilitate care.
- Complies with all regulatory organizations including CMS, JCAHO, ADA and the policies and procedures of the department and Cleveland Clinic.
- Assists with the input, update, maintenance and inventory of systems in department.
- Performs systems integrity checks and runs reports.
- Inputs, codes and performs system checks on computer software such as PDA, Diet Office and the department nutrition registry.
- Performs nutrition analysis using dietetic software for recipes and diet records.
- Analyzes abstracts and codes pertinent information from data collected for a nutrition registry.
- Inputs, updates and assists with maintenance of the department nutrition registry.
- Corrects and completes errors or omissions detected by computer edit and validity checks.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's of Science Degree in Nutrition or related field or Associate's Degree in Dietetic Technology.
- Ongoing evidence of continuing education in areas related to nutrition practice.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to effectively use electronic communication tools.
- Demonstrated ability accept direction and function effectively with minimum direct supervision in an interdisciplinary environment.
- Ability to accept direction, to organize and prioritize time and to work effectively as a team member to communicate issues and resolve conflicts in a timely manner.
- Active certification as a Dietetic Technician Registered (DTR) with Associate's Degree and strongly encouraged with a Bachelor of Science Degree.
Complexity of Work:
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment, and the ability to work unsupervised or with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
- After selection and placement in the job, minimum three month's on-the-job training required, including classroom work, assignments, various shifts and rotation to various patient care areas.
- Ability to navigate extensively to provide services to a large number of patients throughout the hospital and manual dexterity sufficient to perform computer entry.
- Must have physical ability to measure and weigh patients.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective equipment as required.
By embracing and understanding the diversity EVERY ONE brings, Cleveland Clinic has created an inclusive culture that promotes innovation, growth, and new ideas. This has enhanced our ability to attract the best global talent to provide the best patient experience possible. Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment/affirmative action employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. Smoke/drug free environment.