Postdoctoral Research Scientist
New York, NY
Job posting number: #7079441
Posted: June 4, 2021
Job DescriptionThe Division of Cardiac, Thoracic & Vascular Surgery at Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons is accepting applications for a Postdoctoral Research Scientist. The individual will be responsible for management of laboratory functions and development of a research program that focuses on translational research and basic science applied to pediatric cardiac surgery.Our lab and collaborating partners combine expertise in tissue biomechanics, polymer science, mechanical engineering, biomedical engineering, small and large animal models, medical device development, prototyping, clinical trial and patent writing. The individual will spend time in two laboratories: Kalfa Lab on the medical campus (Department of Surgery) and Kysar lab on the Morningside campus (Department of Mechanical Engineering).This opportunity focuses on the development of an expandable heart valved device. Responsibilities of the individual will include:
1) The design and fabrication of the valved conduit
2) Mechanical testing, including standard and hydrodynamic in a heart valve pulse duplicator, and an accelerated wear tester
3) Morphology characterization (SEM)
4) Biostability tests and biocompatibility tests
5) Assist/perform rat and sheep surgery
6) Perform in vivo assessment, using the following methods: scanning electron microscopy, histology, immunohistochemistry, mechanical testing and FT-IR spectroscopy
7) The individual will be involved in all scientific, experimental and administrative aspects of this research project as well as data analysis.
8) The individual will assist the PI on project activities as well as editing manuscripts for reports and publications
Additional responsibilities include academic research in accordance with our compliance and excellence in quality care programs, to include active participation in the education of research fellows, residents and medical students, as well as engineering graduate students. Responsibilities include participation in the academic and research missions of the University, the Department of Surgery and the Department of Mechanical Engineering.
Minimum Degree Required: PhD, MD or PhD/MD. BS and/or MS in Polymer Science and/or Mechanical Engineering and/or Biomedical Engineering preferred.
Experience in Biomedical engineering, including:Knowledge in Polymer Science, Polymer processing methods, Biostability tests and biocompatibility tests , Scanning electron microscopy, Histology, Immunohistochemistry, FT-IR spectroscopy
Experience in Mechanical Engineering, including:Mechanical Testing, Design Optimization
Experience in experimental and microvascular surgery.
Candidates with a previous experience in research projects related to heart valves, medical device development and/or biomaterial development, knowledge in heart valve biology and candidates passionate about using their research and technical skills for to improve the outcomes of patients with congenital heart diseases.
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran