Nursing Supervisor (Pediatric Specialty Clinics)
Ann Arbor, MI
Job posting number: #7076858
Posted: April 9, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionJob Summary
Purpose of Position:
To assist the Senior Nursing Director in planning and management of the patient care services. To provide professional nursing leadership and administrative direction for nursing practice for Registered Nurses, and, as indicated, for Licensed Practical Nurses and assistive personnel. To participate as a member of an Ambulatory Care Unit's leadership team to provide and continually improve health care services and to support the mission and goals of Michigan Medicine. To ensure the quality of nursing services provided to patients.
Supervision Received: Administratively responsible to the Senior Nursing Director, Ambulatory Care Services, for nursing practice, administration of the nursing contract, and provision of operational leadership. Works collaboratively with all members of the leadership teams of the multiple departments/services.
Supervision Exercised: Responsible for professional practice and clinical competence for regular and temporary of Registered Nurses and Licensed Practical Nurses. Works collaboratively with the ACU management teams in the management of support staff.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
* Recruits, interviews and selects nurses. Works collaboratively with leadership teams in the hiring process.
* Manages staffing and scheduling of nursing staff. Assists Nurse Director in determining adequate complements of staff, scope of staff roles and appropriate workload.
* Manages or facilitates nursing relief staffing for multiple clinics.
* Provides supervision, counsel, discipline, and performance evaluation of nurses and, as indicated, assigned clinical assistive staff, with feedback from medical faculty, peer groups, and ACU leadership teams
* Manages the orientation and competency evaluation of nursing staff.
* Serves as a role model, mentor, and expert resource to nurses and assistive staff in the provision of direct patient care.
* Provides leadership for the development, implementation and evaluation of standards of nursing practice and interdisciplinary clinical guidelines.
* Facilitates and support a nursing practice environment in which empowerment, responsibility, autonomy, accountability, collaboration and peer review are exercised.
Support of Clinical Operations:
* Participates in planning and problem-solving of daily operations and priorities of patient services.
* Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of area goals and objectives
* Manages, directly and in collaboration with others, staffing, scheduling, benchmarking, work redesign and variances.
* Organizes and facilitates educational activities and in-services.
* Assures compliance with regulatory programs' standards related to clinical practice. Provides leadership, assists and advises Administrators, Medical Directors, in satisfying other regulatory standards.
* Interprets and implements University and Health System policies and procedures.
* Assists in the planning and implementation of new or expanded services and programs.
* Provides interface and liaison communications regarding programs external to the area which have implications for nursing staff.
* Represents nursing, Ambulatory Care Services and/or the clinical department(s) or area(s) on assigned committees