Research Assistant III
Bar Harbor, ME
Job posting number: #7075340 (Ref:JAX28319)
Posted: February 22, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Lutz lab is seeking a motivated, detail oriented full time Research Assistant to join our team at the Jackson Laboratory in Bar Harbor, Maine. The successful candidate will be working with a dynamic team to develop new mouse models for rare diseases as well as other disease models where gaps in current availability and need to the scientific community are identified. This position is a great opportunity for both experienced associates to expand their skills in molecular biology and phenotyping capabilities across a wide array of disease areas.
- Best practices and standard processes in daily work which support efficiencies, quality, safety, with a customer service focus.
- Conducts tests, experiments, and/or procedures following standard or detailed protocols.
- Basic Lab animal handling skills and biomethod techniques. General Lab sanitation.
- Accurate entry of data including lab IT systems and databases.
- Maintain appropriate documentation as required by protocols and SOP’s.
- Documentation and communication of experimental data through oral presentations and written reports
Research Assistant II:
- Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences or related discipline OR 3 – 6 years of directly related experience in a Laboratory setting.
Research Assistant III:
- Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences or related discipline OR 6+ years of directly related experience.
- Mouse handling and husbandry skills preferred.
- Fundamental computer skills, including familiarity with Excel and Word.
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate information verbally and in written form.
- Ability to demonstrate effective mental concentration, visual attention and dexterity.
- Ability to interact with all individuals in a productive, professional and positive manner to enhance the outcome of the goals of the research program.
- Established understanding of good safety practices and a demonstrated history of safe conduct.
- Proven ability to organize time effectively and work under time constraints, meet deadlines and prioritize work.
- Ability to work flexible shifts (evening/week-end/holiday)
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,300 employees. Headquartered in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center in Augusta, Maine, a genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Connecticut, and facilities in Ellsworth, Maine, Sacramento, California, and Shanghai, China. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory's 43-acre scenic Bar Harbor campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views, and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums, and galleries.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY - Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE - Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM - Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE - Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION - Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP - Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program, an onsite full service cafeteria, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
Employment will require successful completion of references, background check, and a pre-employment physical.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX: http://www.jax.org/careers.