Job posting number: #7075192 (Ref:JAX28366)
Posted: February 17, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Seeking a full time ASN or BSN in Maine to support our Maine Cancer Genomics Initiative as a Genomic Navigator!
Working under limited supervision, this position is responsible for the collaborative assessment, development, implementation and execution of customized genomic testing and therapy navigation workflows with and for the oncology practices participating in studies associated with the Maine Cancer Genomics Initiative (MCGI). To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to handle highly sensitive and confidential PHI while exercising professionalism and discretion. This role supports clinical care related to genomic testing and treatment options for patients consented to the MCGI study and reports to the JAX Medical Director.
- Serve as the primary contact for participating oncology practices for therapy navigation including developing letters of necessity and case managing progress through therapy navigation process, including the involvement of external organizations. Assist clinical staff at participating MCGI research sites in obtaining genomic testing and treatment options for their patients. Including determinations about subsidized testing for individual patients. Work closely with JAX CLIA lab (and other testing providers) on test ordering process and customer service as applicable to each practice.
- Collaboratively assess, develop, implement and execute practice-specific therapy navigation workflows. Coordinate the creation of practice-specific therapy navigation support materials for all major therapy access pathways, including but not necessarily limited to: test ordering and insurance pre-authorization as well as post-testing navigation via programs such as FDA project Facilitate, Right to Try, off-label and insurance approval processes. Interact with MCGI research and Genomic Tumor Board coordination teams to provide seamless service to the clinical practices. Lead the creation of patient-directed materials including but not limited to flyers, pamphlets and videos.
- ASN or BSN with current RN nursing license and minimum 2 years professional experience or MS in Genetic Counseling with minimum 1-year professional experience.
- Experience in an outpatient clinic and/or patient care management with exposure to medical billing and insurer practices in oncology although other relevant immersive experience in oncology precision medicine will be considered including, but not limited to, care coordinator experience with a payor or medical science liaison experience with a testing provider.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to create workflows. Detailed oriented with exceptional oral and written communication skills. Comfortable providing guidance to and training medical office staff.
- Develop and maintain close relationships with medical practice staff at oncology practices participating in the Maine Cancer Genomics Initiative.
- Proven project management skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills to work in a high-profile environment requiring discretion, judgment, tact, diplomacy.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software including Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Communicate with clarity and simplicity. Provide excellent customer service as measured through internal and external feedback requested by supervisor.
- Perform therapy navigation duties sufficiently to meet MCGI therapy navigation utilization goals.
- Day travel trips throughout the State of Maine occasionally
Please submit a cover letter of interest in this role and resume!
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,300 employees. Headquartered in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center in Augusta, Maine, a genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Connecticut, and facilities in Ellsworth, Maine, Sacramento, California, and Shanghai, China. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory's 43-acre scenic Bar Harbor campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views, and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums, and galleries.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY - Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE - Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM - Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE - Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION - Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP - Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program, an onsite full service cafeteria, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
Employment will require successful completion of references, background check, credit check, and an appropriate non-compete agreement.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.