Research Technologist/Senior Research Technologist
Bar Harbor, ME
Job posting number: #7074936 (Ref:JAX28320)
Posted: February 10, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Working under general supervision, the incumbent undertakes mouse colony management responsibilities within the Shultz Lab. This position combines part-time mouse room colony management with part-time laboratory responsibilities. Approximately 25 percent of the applicant’s time will be spent on the maintenance of unique mouse stocks used at any time to further research in area of immunological disease and disorders. These duties include, shipping, weaning, rotation of breeders and putting away surplus mouse orders. 75% of the incumbent’s time will be spent performing laboratory activities such as reagent preparation, routine PCR- setting up and monitoring diet experiments, running ELISAs, DNA purification, PCR genotyping, submitting samples to TGS and Sequencing, necropsies, and preparing samples for shipment on dry ice to other countries. The incumbent will be trained for and perform work with BSL2 mice and work in the BSL2 area.. As time and aptitude allows, the applicant can be trained in more advanced techniques.
The primary duties of this position will focus on research and operational needs with secondary emphasis on colony management.
Incumbents may be required to work flexible shifts that could include evenings, weekends and/or holidays depending on the demands of the research and/or laboratory operations.
Colony Management – 25%
- Maintains appropriate breeding scheme(s) as required per strain
- Reports colony productivity changes to Laboratory Manager and/or Supervisor
- Consistently manages breeder rotation as required per strain and appropriately identifies and selects replacement breeder mice
- Accurately maintains strain pedigree in JAX Colony Management computer software
- Updates current colony status development notes citing appropriate milestone dates
- Promptly utilizes genotyping results for colony maintenance
- Implements the breeding scheme of new strains as determined by the Laboratory Manager and/or other research team members
- Learns fundamental processes of data collection and analysis of reproductive performance
Experimental Support, Biomethods & Special Projects– 75%
- Reagent preparation
- Masters biomethods techniques
- When necessary carries out humane animal euthanasia in accordance with established laboratory procedures
- Animal restraint
- Setting up, weighing and monitoring diet experiments
- Tail tipping biosample colleciton
- Routine PCR and flow cytometry-based genotyping
- Collecting and delivering samples to TGS and Sequencing
- Performing necropsies and harvesting tissues
- Preparing samples for shipping to foreign and domestic collaborators; experience with dry shippers is a plus
- BSL2 mouse work
- Ability to master new experimental techniques and Biomethods as needed
Regular, reliable, and consistent attendance
Ability to meet flexible and changing demands including some hours on weekends and holidays. Ability to work flexible schedule depending on research/operational needs
Other duties as assigned
- Research Technologist - Knowledge of mouse genetics as preferentially, but not essentially acquired by a Bachelors or Associate degree in the biological sciences or 1–2 years of work experience in which animal husbandry and colony management and wet bench experience were major job responsibilities. Senior Research Technologist - Knowledge of mouse genetics as acquired by a Bachelors or Associate degree in the biological sciences and 2+ years relevant experience or 5+ years of work experience in which animal husbandry, colony management were major job responsibilities.
- Successful completion of Lab Animal Science or equivalent experience.
- Biomethods training, or ability to quickly obtain such, resulting in the ability to ear notch mice, collect peripheral blood, tail tips, and cull mouse colonies.
- Prior training in PCR and/or flow cytometry based techniques is a plus.
- Successful completion of the Laboratory’s Genetics course or equivalent college accredited coursework.
- Senior Technologist - Identifies problems, troubleshoots and analyzes variations observed and reported in regular testing protocols; modifies, refines or adapts techniques and procedures; modifies and/or adjusts quality control measures.
- Senior Technologist - Demonstrated ability to conduct experiments, interpret data and present findings.
- Senior Research Technologist – Demonstrated ability to deliver professional training materials.
- Senior Research Technologist - Conducts multiple experiments and is responsible for maintenance of equipment used in those experiments. Is organized, responsible and reports results clearly and efficiently to supervisor.
- Knowledge of barrier room function.
- Regular, reliable and consistent attendance.
- Detail orientated, flexible, ability to multi-task and remain focused.
- Successful proven record of written and oral communication skills sufficient to permit clear and effective exchange of information.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to manage details accurately.
- Ability to use word processing, spreadsheet, web browser, and database software to record and report activities.
- Weekend and holiday work may be required on a rotating basis or as dictated by research needs.