Senior Project Manager GRS
Bar Harbor, ME
Job posting number: #7074813 (Ref:JAX28317)
Posted: February 5, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Lutz lab has an exciting opportunity to join the team as a Senior Project Manager. This individual will have a solid background of theoretical and practical knowledge in the biological sciences to understand the research methods involved in generating, validating, and characterizing new mouse models of human disease using CRISPR/Cas9 gene editing technology. The Project Manager is responsible for working with Study Directors, Research Scientists and Principle Investigators, as well as external collaborators and clients, to define project scope, goals and deliverables for overall project coordination, execution and completion. This position requires an in-depth understanding of operations and service deliverables, available products and services, a customer-centric focus, excellent communication skills, and proficiency with available project tracking and communication tools to enable them to ensure a positive customer experience. This position is the key responsible party to ensure that all projects in their portfolio are on track and that internal resources are used responsibly.
· Customer Experience Management: Participates in collaborator/client interactions as needed and holds primary responsibility for ensuring a superior customer experience. Distributes tailored project summaries according to time tables and anticipates delays/roadblocks/bottlenecks to avoid collaborator/client dissatisfaction.
· Project Development & Tracking: Project initiation and development, including IACUC protocol amendment, providing accurate timelines securing animals, facilities, and staff for studies. Works mostly independently in the execution of core responsibilities. Expected to provide independent review of model validation data an compiles reports.
· Project Management, Order Entry & Recordkeeping: Tracking progress on projects, updating required databases, driving progress of internal departments to ensure goals are achieved.
· Fiscal Responsibilities: Monitor financial goals by ensuring projects are timely, minimizing cost overruns and managing time and proficiency of project team members.
· Masters or PhD degree in biology, animal science, or related discipline and 2+ years of experience working in animal research with demonstrated project management experience. Extensive background in genetics a plus.
· Exceptional verbal & written communication skills are required; establishing consistent, effective two-way communication with department managers and supervisors regarding project needs and deadlines and following up in a timely manner to ensure project success.
· Proven proficiency with basic laboratory and advanced biomethods techniques
· Demonstrated aptitude to train research assistants and technicians
· Demonstrated ability to support staff to thrive on change and keep pace with a fast-paced, dynamic work environment
· Positive attitude and professional manner in all interactions; demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and professional development
· Highly proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoints software, and Prism GraphPad.
· Aptitude to train project managers and to independently lead process development of new services, process improvements arising from deviation panels, lean projects and process documentation.
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,300 employees. Headquartered in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center in Augusta, Maine, a genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Connecticut, and facilities in Ellsworth, Maine, Sacramento, California, and Shanghai, China. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory's 43-acre scenic Bar Harbor campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views, and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums, and galleries.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY - Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE - Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM - Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE - Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION - Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP - Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program, an onsite full service cafeteria, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
Employment will require successful completion of references, background check, and a pre-employment physical.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX: http://www.jax.org/careers.