Research Assistant I
Job posting number: #7074739 (Ref:JAX28326)
Posted: February 3, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Research Assistant I
The Ucar laboratory at The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine in Farmington, CT is seeking talented individuals experienced in computing and bioinformatics. The focus of the Ucar laboratory is to understand how epigenomes of human immune cells change with age and diseases including COVID-19. More information can be found at: https://www.ucarlab.com/
We are seeking highly-motivated individuals who have prior experience with computational methods focused on NGS data analysis, and some previous exposure to genomics and genetics.
- Conducts analyses of genomic datasets and build computational pipelines and methods when necessary.
- Clearly and concisely conveys information verbally and in written form; effectively presents ideas to individuals or groups to ensure that they understand the information and message.
- Attend lab meetings and present his/her work to the team.
· Bachelor’s degree in computer sciences or related discipline OR 1-3 years of related experience.
· Computing and bioinformatics skills preferred.
· Fundamental computer skills, including familiarity with Excel, Word, and R.
· Ability to clearly and concisely communicate information verbally and in written form.
· Ability to demonstrate effective mental concentration, visual attention and dexterity.
· Ability to interact with all individuals in a productive, professional and positive manner to enhance the outcome of the goals of the research program.
· Established understanding of good safety practices and a demonstrated history of safe conduct.
· Proven ability to organize time effectively and work under time constraints, meet deadlines and prioritize work.
· Ability to work flexible shifts (evening/week-end/holiday).
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,300 employees. Headquartered in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center in Augusta, Maine, a genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Connecticut, and facilities in Ellsworth, Maine, Sacramento, California, and Shanghai, China. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
JAX Genomic Medicine is transforming medicine by improving patient care, lowering costs, and increasing life span and health span. JAX Genomic Medicine’s research focuses on the complex genetic causes of disease and on the development of genomic solutions tailored to each person's unique genetic makeup.
JAX Genomic Medicine sits on a 17-acre site on the campus of the University of Connecticut Health Center. The 183,500-square-foot facility opened in the fall of 2014. Now, it houses over 300 biomedical researchers, technicians, and support staff in state-of-the-art computing facilities and laboratories.
In Connecticut, JAX resides in the scenic town of Farmington, in the state’s capitol region. The Hartford region, which offers some of the best public schools in the country, is made up of both bigger cities and smaller, charming historic New England towns. JAX Genomic Medicine is also geographically located within 2 hours of Boston and New York and is close to multiple transportation systems, including bus lines, highways, railroads and international airports.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY - Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE - Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM - Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE - Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION - Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP - Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program and an onsite full service cafeteria.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
Employment will require successful completion of references, background check, credit check, pre-employment physical, drug test and an appropriate non-compete agreement.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX: http://www.jax.org/careers.