IT Project Manager II/III
Job posting number: #7074737 (Ref:JAX28312)
Posted: February 3, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Information Technology team at The Jackson Laboratory is seeking a self-driven senior level Project Manager. As a member of the IT project management team this individual will be responsible for planning and leading multiple IT infrastructure, application or business sponsored projects. The role will include managing all project activities including: initiation, planning, execution and project close, while utilizing the defined project methodology, standards and tools. This position requires a solid understanding of Information Technology with experience in managing application and business sponsored initiatives, coupled with strong project execution and communication skills. The Project Manager is the key responsible party to ensure the project is delivered on-time, within budget, and in alignment with IT or business sponsor expectations.
Project Management: Develops and manages the overall project scope, plan, schedule, and budget using the defined project methodology, tools, process and artifacts. Leads risk identification, mitigation and contingency planning for triggered risk events. Responsible for financial management and reporting including support of any associated change orders.
Communication: Keeps all stakeholders, project team members and project sponsors informed and engaged in the project, aligned on expected outcomes and informed about what is occurring throughout the project using standard project methodology tools and process.
Resource Management: Leads matrixed project teams including internal and external project members and vendors in executing assigned tasks and deliverables both on-time, and within budget.
Project Methodology/Tools: Participates in development and continuous improvement of project methodology, process and artifacts. Provides project tool administrative support (Smartsheet), coaches and trains others in areas of project management
- Bachelor’s degree in a Business discipline, Computer Science or closely related discipline; commensurate experience considered
- Familiarity with Information Technology including (but not limited to) high performance data networks, high capacity data centers, cloud services, data storage solutions, programming languages, databases, application platforms, business intelligence technology, ERP, etc.
- Proven track record of successfully completing multiple projects and/or major projects within defined parameters required
- Practical project management knowledge and practice – demonstrated ability to educate and utilize project management knowledge, tools, and techniques
- PMI Project Management Professional (PMP), Certified Scrum Master, or other internationally recognized project management certification preferred
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both written and oral, adapting communication to the audience including IT and business
- Experience with project tool administration and training (Smartsheet)
- Level II:
- Three or more years of direct project management experience required
- Ability to coach and train others in areas of project management.
- Level III:
- Six or more years of direct project management experience required
- Two or more years of direct experience managing projects utilizing more than one project management methodology (e.g. waterfall, Agile, etc.)
- Demonstrated leadership among peers; Management or leadership experience a plus
- Functional and or technical application knowledge
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,300 employees. Headquartered in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center in Augusta, Maine, a genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Connecticut, and facilities in Ellsworth, Maine, Sacramento, California, and Shanghai, China. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory's 43-acre scenic Bar Harbor campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views, and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums, and galleries.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY - Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE - Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM - Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE - Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION - Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP - Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program, an onsite full service cafeteria, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
Employment will require successful completion of references, background check, credit check, and an appropriate non-compete agreement.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX: http://www.jax.org/careers.