Research Assistant II
Bar Harbor, ME
Job posting number: #7072111 (Ref:JAX28084)
Posted: November 13, 2020
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The group of Dr. Cathleen Lutz has an opening for a full-time position as a Research Assistant II. The Research Assistant will be a collaborative member of the cross functional In Vivo department and may be assigned work within the Research and Development (R&D) team.
This position will involve performing general mouse biomethods (e.g. common routes of injections, in-life biosample collection, clinical observations, necropsy) and common laboratory procedures (e.g. RT-PCR, western blotting, ELISA), and performing, after training, advanced lab techniques such as in vitro and ex vivo cell culture and flow cytometry.
The position requires a highly motivated individual with a passion for learning who works well in a fast paced, deadline-driven environment. Ability to follow established routine procedures and defined schedules, keep records, and work in a team is critical.
- Best practices and standard processes in daily work which support efficiencies, quality, safety, with a customer service focus.
- Conducts tests, experiments, and/or procedures following standard or detailed protocols.
- Basic Lab animal handling skills and biomethod techniques. General Lab sanitation.
- Accurate entry of data including lab IT systems and databases.
- Maintain appropriate documentation as required by protocols and SOP’s.
- Documentation and communication of experimental data through oral presentations and written reports
- Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences or related discipline OR 3 – 6 years of directly related experience in a Laboratory setting.
- Demostrated experience with molecular biology techniques, such as ELISA, qPCR, western blotting, etc.preferred.
- Mouse handling and husbandry skills preferred. Must be able to handle mice to perform in-life phenotyping and collect tissue after being trained and certified.
- Fundamental computer skills, including familiarity with Excel and Word.
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate information verbally and in written form.
- Strong attention to detail is required.
- Must be a strong team-player and posses excellent listening skills.
- Ability to work flexible shifts (evening/week-end/holiday)
The Jackson Laboratory (JAX) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,300 employees. Headquartered in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center in Augusta, Maine, a genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Connecticut, and facilities in Ellsworth, Maine, Sacramento, California, and Shanghai, China. Its mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory's 43-acre scenic Bar Harbor campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views, and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums, and galleries.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY - Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE - Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM - Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE - Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION - Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP - Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program, an onsite full service cafeteria, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
Employment will require successful completion of references, background check, and a pre-employment physical.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX: http://www.jax.org/careers.