PS Physician Assistant
Salt Lake City, UT
Job posting number: #7071193
Posted: October 21, 2020
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionJob Summary
Provides both primary and specialty medical services in a University Health Sciences clinic or hospital unit.
As a patient-focused organization, the University of Utah Health Sciences exists to enhance the health and well-being of people through patient care, research and education. Success in this mission requires a culture of collaboration, excellence, leadership, and respect. The Health Sciences Center seeks faculty and staff who are committed to the values of compassion, collaboration, innovation, responsibility, diversity, integrity, quality and trust that are integral to our mission.
This position is considered Category I: Mandatory and required on campus or health care facilities to support on-site operations. Employees hired into this category will be required to be physically located at the Moran Eye Center if they are healthy and without COVID-19 symptoms.
1. Takes complex medical histories on patients referred for consultation by academic and community physicians.
2. Performs physical examinations.
3. Orders laboratory tests, x-rays, special imaging studies and other diagnostic procedures.
4. May perform bone marrow aspirations and biopsies, skin biopsies, lumbar punctures; administers intrathecal chemotherapy; and may participate in bone marrow harvests.
5. Monitors the level of and adjusts immunosuppressive medications.
6. Orders and supervises the administration of blood products.
7. Reaches tentative diagnosis of medical, surgical and other conditions.
8. Develops treatment plans in conjunction with attending physician to provide optimal patient medical management.
9. Participates in continuing medical education to include specialty and sub-specialty meetings, clubs, boards and conferences.
10. Assists in the collection of data for research projects.
11. Orders consultations and interacts with members of other specialty medical teams.
12. Participates in special projects and committee functions.
• This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency that may be required:
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Often: Infectious disease, oils (there is air or skin exposure to oils or other cutting fluids), hazards (includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, or exposure to chemicals).
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking, standing, sitting.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
Current license to practice as a Physician’s Assistant from the State of Utah. Certification in ACLS/BLS/NRP/ATLS may be required by your department or by privileging criteria. Demonstrated human relations and effective communication skills are also required.
Utah State prescriptive privileges preferred.
To obtain license requires graduation from an ARC-PA approved/accredited Physician Assistant program. Specialty experience preferred on a position by position basis. UHPPM 1-56 requires that newly hired non-physician providers apply for credentialing and privileging at the time of hire.
This position is patient-sensitive and must fulfill all associated requirements. We protect our patients, coworkers and community by requiring all patient-sensitive employees to be immunized according to CDC standards and hospital policy. Limited exemptions may be made for documented medical contraindications or religious beliefs that object to vaccinations.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Special Instructions Summary
Part time position with scheduling flexibility required.
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to applicants, consistent with University policy and Utah state law. To inquire about this posting, email: “email@example.com” or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/TDD), email: “firstname.lastname@example.org”.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.