RN - Senior Adult Clinic
Job posting number: #7069649 (Ref:hlj_27163)
Posted: September 10, 2020
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Senior Adult Oncology Program at Moffitt Cancer Center is aimed at preventing and treating cancer in people 70 years of age or older, as well as improving their quality of life. A cornerstone of the program is a comprehensive geriatric assessment that helps team members to identify problem areas related to cancer, as well as other issues that are directly related to aging – such as missed diagnoses and day-to-day functional abilities.
The program strives to:
- Design personalized medical and therapeutic treatment plans for each senior
- Recognize “unsuspected” diagnoses
- Maximize social support
- Prevent dangerous drug interactions
- Optimize the nutrition of the older person with cancer
- Meet the rehabilitative needs of the patient
- Address socioeconomic issues and family/caregiver concerns that can affect the patient’s health care.
The Senior Adult Oncology Program takes into account other conditions that may affect older people, including accompanying diseases, limitations on activity, transportation problems, volume of medications, nutritional problems and memory disorders or depression.
A holistic approach is used to assess functional limitations and nutritional and psychosocial status. Use of prescription and non-prescription medications is reviewed, and possible harmful interactions and side effects are identified. This includes counseling on the use of alternative medications, such as herbs, vitamins, etc.
Our Senior Adult Clinic cares for 30-40 patients on a daily basis. We are currently looking for a Registered Nurse to join our team.
- The Registered Nurse will have responsibilities that include Chemo Blood Platelets; administering IV fluids, IV antibiotics, bladder treatments, IP treatments, and hormonal therapy injections; accessing ports and changing central lines.
- The Registered Nurse delivers individualized quality nursing care to cancer patients and families in accordance with established hospital guidelines, nursing professional practice model, nursing care standards and policies and in accordance with ANA code of ethics and external regulatory agencies.
- Registered Nurses embody the vision, mission, and philosophy of Moffitt Nursing and are committed to and accountable for personalized patient and family centered care and the concepts of Duffy's quality caring model/caring factors. These frameworks of care include: collaboration and mutual problem solving, dignity and human respect, encouraging manner, attentive reassurance, appreciation of unique meaning, healing environment, basic human needs, information sharing, caring for self, and affiliation needs
- Registered Nurses use the nursing process to effectively plan and manage quality patient care. Biophysical, psychosocial, environmental, self-care, educational and discharge planning needs are addressed in all steps of the nursing process. This is demonstrated in base-line and comparative documentation, entered in a timely manner, and with evidence of age-appropriate consideration when care is planned, delivered, and evaluated.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will have experience working at a fast paced blood draw clinic or setting.
- Uses the nursing process to assess, plan, and evaluate the care of cancer patients and families. Integrates patient and family centered care and the quality caring factors into practice
- Identifies, documents, and provides patient education based on learning needs of the patient
- Participates in Evidence based improvement activities related to area of practice
- Participates in professional development based on the nursing professionals standards, regulatory requirements, and job expectations
Credentials and Qualifications:
- BSN from an ACEN or CCNE accredited institution with at least two years of relevant experience or ASN from an ACEN or CCNE accredited institution with 2 years of relevant experience and enrolled to complete BSN from an ACEN or CCNE within 3 years of hire
- FL RN License
- BLS Certification
Mission To create a Moffitt culture of diversity and inclusion as we strive to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Vision Moffitt Cancer Center is recognized as the model wherein the diversity of our employees and communities is valued and supported as essential components to contributing to the prevention and cure of cancer. The cancer center is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the cancer center to prohibit unlawful discrimination and harassment of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to workforce members and applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, marital status, disability, genetic information, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.