Information Technology Librarian
Job posting number: #7067343
Posted: June 30, 2020
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionDescription of primary duties and responsibilities:
Primary Purpose of the Organizational Unit:
The primary mission of the library is to support the university in its research, organization and interpretation of information resources. The library selects, acquires, and organizes materials to meet the instructional and research needs of faculty and students. In addition, the library is responsible for housing materials in a manner that ensures ease of access; employing appropriate tools of technology for storage and retrieval of information; assisting users in the understanding of library resources; identifying and locating information and utilization of library resources.
The position of Information Technology Librarian reports to the Director of Library Services.
• The position holders supervises one university library technician and students. No direct budget authority.
Description of Work Continued:
Primary Purpose of the Position:
• Provide ongoing support for a variety of library systems, including the integrated library system, archives management system, proxy server, link resolver, interlibrary loan management system, and other web-based applications.
• Assist in management and support of the libraries’ integrated library system, currently WMS, including overall system administration and desktop support .
• Participate in the ongoing assessment and enhancement of existing technology as well as new information technology related services deployed.
• Oversee library wide software installations and configuration.
• Delegate tasks and project assignments to support staff member, student assistants and monitor the resolution of all support issues. Research, recommend, and expedite equipment and software purchases.
• Pursue ongoing professional development and contribute to the profession through local and national professional and scholarly activities.
• Communicate with library staff on technology-related issues. Provide regular updates on the status of ongoing projects and resolution of technology issues. Assist faculty, staff, and students in resolving issues related to access to library technology and remotely accessible resources. Communicate with Information Technology and Telecommunications on campus wide issues impacting library technology.
• Address desktop support issues submitted by library staff as well as ITTS faculty, staff, and students in a prompt, efficient, and responsive manner.
• Some evening and weekend work required on a rotating basis.
• Other Duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
• A minimum of one year of directly relevant professional experience working with information technology and/or library systems required;
• Knowledge of library, communication, and web standards such as MARC, OpenURL and link resolvers, proxy systems, and XML, as well as knowledge of relational database systems and applications including SQL and MS Access required.
Knowledge skills and abilities:
• Master’s degree preferred, with a Master’s in library and information science from an ALA-Accredited program desirable. Bachelor’s degree in information technology management, computer science, or relevant combination of education and experience preferred.
• At least two years of experience in desktop support and software installation and maintenance preferred.
• Experience providing support in an academic library environment preferred.
• Experience supporting and maintaining library automated systems, institutional repositories, and archival management systems including but not limited to such systems as WMS, ILLiad, and Digital Commons desirable.