Staff Scientist - Integrative Genomics Core
Job posting number: #7067215 (Ref:10006046)
Posted: June 25, 2020
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionAbout City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Perform statistical and bioinformatics analysis of large scale genomics data. Develops analysis pipelines and applications for genomic data analysis and data mining.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Works on various genomic projects as assigned under supervision of the director.
- Performs statistical and bioinformatics analyses of large scale genomic data, e.g. Illumina and PacBio.
- Prepares summaries, presentations, manuscript sections and figures for the visualization and publication of complex data and results.
- Evaluates existing methods and develops applications for genomic data analysis and data mining.
- Establishes schedules and monitors status of projects on an ongoing basis.
- Trains department personnel in the use of specialized and custom software packages and databases.
- Enhances professional growth and development by reviewing current literature and by participation in educational programs, workshops, conferences, and meetings.
- Efficiently evaluate, prioritize and handle multiple and changing projects and priorities.
- Maintains department records, reports, and files as required.
- Attends meetings as required.
- Other miscellaneous administrative tasks.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Must possess, at a minimum, the U.S. equivalent masters degree in an appropriate discipline.
- 2+ years of relevant experience in applying statistical and computational methods to the analysis and visualization of complex genomics data.
- Extensive knowledge of statistical analysis methods and models, mathematical and computational algorithm, such as machine learning algorithms.
- Experience with genomic data integration and data mining.
- Proficient in R/Bioconductor programming
- Experience working with NGS data, such as Illumina Hiseq/miSeq and PacBio SMRT sequencing.
- Familiar with Biological databases, such as GEO and TCGA.
- Familiar with open source and commercial software tools for genomic data analysis, such as BWA, TOPHAT, STAR, CUFFLINKS, IGV, VARSCAN, GATK, ANNOVAR, IPA, etc.
- Experience with statistical, spreadsheet, graphics and word-processing software packages.
Preferred education experience and skills:
- Ph.D., preferred.
- Familiar with at least one programming languages, such as R/Perl/Python/JAVA/C++ with R or Python, preferred.
- Knowledge of molecular biology, Molecular Biology, genetics, epigenetics, biostatistics, computer science, preferred
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
City of Hope is a community of people characterized by our diversity of thought, background and approach, but tied together by our commitment to care for and cure those with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. The innovation that our diversity produces in the areas of research, treatment, philanthropy and education has made us national leaders in this fight. Our unique and diverse workforce provides us the ability to understand our patients' needs, deliver compassionate care and continue the quest for a cure for life-threatening diseases. At City of Hope, diversity and inclusion is a core value at the heart of our mission. We strive to create an inclusive workplace environment that engages all of our employees and provides them with opportunities to develop and grow, both personally and professionally. Each day brings an opportunity to strengthen our work, leverage our different perspectives and improve our patients’ experiences by learning from others. Diversity and inclusion is about much more than policies and campaigns. It is an integral part of who we are as an institution, how we operate and how we see our future.