San Jose, CA
Job posting number: #7063517
Posted: February 14, 2020
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionSalary Range $73,052 to $100,279 Entry Level Annual Salary (Academic Salary Schedule 2018-2019); Maximum Salary Potential $130,110. Note: Actual Salary placement is based on candidate's verified education and experience.
Excellent fringe benefit package includes a pension, medical, dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection. Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts. Faculty also receive paid sick leave.
This faculty position is a full-time, 100% FTE (10 Months) Tenure Track position as Chemistry Instructor teaching a full range of chemistry classes including introductory, general, and organic chemistry in the Division of Math, Science, and Engineering located at Evergreen Valley College.
Assignment may include day and evening responsibilities.
This position is represented by the San Jose/Evergreen Federation of Teachers, AFT 6157.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Teach a 100% load in the field of Chemistry.
2. Currency and depth of knowledge in Chemistry.
3. Appropriate preparation and organizational skills in area of assignment.
4. Use and develop a variety of effective teaching techniques and assessment methods to engage student interest and support a variety of learning styles including the use of computers and information technology.
5. Evaluate student oral presentations, projects, and written work using clear explicit criteria relevant to the course content and learning objectives.
6. Participate in articulation and recruitment networking with high schools and transfer institutions.
7. Direct the work of student assistants as assigned.
8. Teach courses in assigned discipline by communicating subject matter clearly and effectively.
9. Adapt methodologies for students with special needs and different learning styles.
10. Demonstrate commitment to professional development, including but not limited to activities such as: participation in professional conferences, workshops, seminars, membership in professional organizations, research projects, publishing academic work, participation in statewide committees or organizations, etc.
11. Demonstrate sensitivity in working with students and staff of diverse racial, ethnic, academic and socio economic backgrounds, sexual orientation, and disabilities by showing respect for differences and the dignity of others.
12. Participate in faculty responsibilities such as: course and curriculum development and review, student learning outcomes and assessment, program review, committees, research and special projects as needed in the discipline/department or district.
13. Attend and participate in department, division and college meetings and keep posted office hours.
14. Meet record keeping obligations on time, e.g. grades, census, reports, rosters, textbook orders, and requisitions.
15. Maintain and provide current course syllabi as required by California Education Code and Board policy.
16. Foster a professional work and learning environment.
17. Perform other duties as required by the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Master’s in Chemistry
Bachelor’s in Chemistry or Biochemistry AND Master’s in Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering, Chemical Physics, Physics, Molecular Biology, or Geochemistry