Medical Health Technician
New Brunswick, NJ
Job posting number: #7063393
Posted: February 5, 2020
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Our vision is to be a statewide, national and world leader of scientific discovery, transdisciplinary engagement, translation, patient care and education that improves outcomes for cancer patients and populations.
We will accomplish this by conducting innovative basic, clinical and population research and cutting-edge patient-centered care that expands our understanding of the etiology and biology of cancer; facilitates the rapid translation of laboratory-based discoveries into human studies; develops new approaches and interventions for cancer prevention that decrease cancer incidence and mortality; and develops new and better therapies to decrease suffering and mortality from cancer.
CORE VALUES: Curiosity and Discovery, Integrity, Collaboration, Respect and Caring, Perseverance.
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is seeking a Medical Health Technician, for the Nursing Department at the Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey.
The Medical Health Technician provides direct patient care, performs simple nursing procedures, and provides assistance to the professional staff in the evaluation and treatment of patients. Ensures that each clinic is well organized, fully prepared, and efficiently operated so that every patient and physician encounter occurs with a high level of safety and satisfaction. Assists faculty and staff to ensure that the necessary medical record, x-rays, reports, and pathology slides are available at the time of the encounter. Coordinates tumor study group meetings. Supports the research mission and participates in performance improvement activities in order to improve the quality, consistency, and efficiency of services provided. Position requires interaction and competency in providing care to patients in all age categories from neonates through geriatrics and all populations with an emphasis on patients with cancer.
Among the key duties of this position are the following:
• Works collaboratively with faculty and staff to maintain a timely and organized flow of patients and families through the Cancer Institute of New Jersey clinical areas.
• Assists faculty and staff to ensure necessary medical records, reports, x-rays and pathology slides are available at the time of the patient encounter or as required for orders and referrals. Calls appropriate department or facility to expedite delivery of missing or anticipated records or x-rays. Retrieves information as directed and places in the patient medical records prior to the clinic visit. Advises physician or nurse promptly if problems arise.
• Tracks pathology slides. Ensures that any slides sent to Rutgers Cancer Institute for evaluation are accounted for and sent in a timely manner to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital (RWJUH). Use appropriate databases as needed to provide efficient tracking.
• Assists clinicians with completing laboratory requisitions as needed. Familiarize self with managed care insurance guidelines and demonstrates knowledge of what laboratory specimens must be sent.
• Obtains and documents in the medical record vital signs, height and weight on all patients entering the Cancer Institute to receive clinical services. This includes orthostatic vital signs when required and notifies medical staff (staff nurse, advance practice nurse or physician) of any abnormalities. Obtains and documents level of pain and fatigue on all patients prior to their physician visit as required by regulatory agencies and notifies medical staff (staff nurse, advanced practice nurse or physician) of any abnormalities. Obtains and documents in the medical record distress screening scores and notifies appropriate health care professionals for scores higher than 4; obtains and documents all information in the medical record related to meaningful use requirements; obtains and documents in the medical record the patient histories as follows: social; medical; gynecology (if appropriate); and surgical.
• Assists patients in preparation for medical exams/and procedures. Keeps patients comfortable during waiting time.