Professor of Biological Sciences (Microbiology)
Job posting number: #7062661
Posted: December 9, 2019
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionApplication Procedure
First Review of Applications: Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled; however, those submitted by 11:59 p.m. (PST) on 3/16/20 are assured consideration.
Applicants must submit all of the following materials online at http://hrjobs.mtsac.edu to be considered for this position:
1. A Mt. San Antonio College online application
2. A cover letter addressing how duties & responsibilities, required qualifications, and preferred qualifications are met
3. A detailed résumé that summarizes educational preparation and professional experience for the position
4. A minimum of three (3) current letters of recommendation that reflect relevant experience (do not use social media or professional networks as a means to provide letters of recommendation or any of the required documents)
5. College and/or university transcripts showing the awarded/conferred degree are required and must be submitted with the online application by all applicants, including current or former employees of the college, to demonstrate that the required educational qualifications are met. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at the time of application; however, copies of diplomas are not accepted in lieu of transcripts.
6. Equivalency Determination Supplemental Form: : All candidates not holding the stated minimum qualifications who are requesting consideration based on an equivalency, must complete this form to be considered
Health & Welfare
The College contributes $12,159 toward annual premiums for medical, dental, vision, and life insurance coverage. Lifetime retirement benefits provided for eligible retirees.
The District participates in the Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS), State Teachers’ Retirement System (STRS) retirement programs, and National Benefit Services (NBS).
*Subject to change based on Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Primarily teach Microbiology as well as other courses in the Biological Sciences, depending on candidate’s background
2. Participate in curriculum development, serve on College committees as necessary to maintain and improve the instructional program, and participate in appropriate professional development activities
3. Perform related duties as assigned, including timely compliance with clerical and administrative responsibilities and College, division, and department policies
4. Collaborate effectively with other faculty, staff, and administrators to plan, develop, and execute related programs
5. Instruct and assist in the growth and success of a diverse population of students through careful preparation of course materials and effective teaching methods, informed critical feedback on assignments and discussions
6. Maintain scheduled office and campus hours, and participate in department/division meetings and committees
7. Late afternoon, evening and/or weekend assignments may be required as part of the regular contract
A. The minimum of one of the following awarded/conferred from a regionally accredited institution:
1. Master’s degree in any biological science; OR
2. Bachelor’s degree in any biological science AND Master’s in biochemistry, biophysics, or marine science; OR
3. The equivalent (must attach an Equivalency Determination Supplemental Form) OR
4. California Community College credential, “Valid for Life” (no longer issued), authorizing service as an instructor in the appropriate discipline; refer to Ed Code § 87355 (If meeting qualifications with this credential, a copy of the valid lifetime credential AND transcripts must be submitted with the application.)
B. Commitment to the community college goals/objectives of providing quality programs and services for students with diverse abilities and interests; personal qualities to work effectively and sensitively in a multicultural environment; awareness and commitment to the special needs of non-traditional students.
1. Experience teaching Microbiology
2. Experience teaching Microbiology lab
3. Advanced coursework in Microbiology and/or work experience in Microbiology
4. Evidence of commitment to teaching pre-health professions student population
5. Teaching experience at the community college level
6. Demonstrated excellence in teaching
7. Experience with traditional and non-traditional students from diverse backgrounds
8. Evidence of promoting the success of diverse students in biology
9. Excellent communication skills both inside and outside the classroom
10. Communicate effectively to students orally and in writing.
License(s) & Other Requirements
The incumbent may periodically be required to get to a variety of locations. If operating a vehicle, employees must have the ability to secure and maintain a valid California driver’s license.
All candidates not holding the stated minimum qualifications who are requesting consideration based on an equivalency, must complete the Equivalency Determination Supplemental Form to be considered.
Conditions of Employment
This is a full-time, tenure-track, 10-month contract position that begins in the 2020-21 academic year. Placement on the salary schedule is based on formal education, full-time and/or part-time teaching, and related work experience, up to a maximum placement at step 9.
Official offers of employment are made by Mt. San Antonio College Human Resources and are made contingent upon Board approval. It is also required that a final offer of employment will only be made after the candidate has successfully been live-scanned and clearance for employment is authorized by Human Resources. Costs for live-scan services shall be borne by the candidate.